atiffyfit

A_TiffyFit's Booklikes

Blackbrooke II: The Guardian

Blackbrooke II: The Guardian - Emma Silver Review to come on/near June 10th. 4.5 stars, rounding up to 5. YOU BROKE MY HEART, MS. SILVER.*********************************4.75 stars and rounding up to 5. This is a sequel obviously as it is titled Blackbrooke II. If you would like to know what I thought of Blackbrooke, please CLICK HERE. Unlike my other reviews, this one is probably going to have spoilers. I will try very hard to edit this over and over to try and eliminate them, but I just don’t know at this point. I just finished reading this. And…Emma Silver – you broke my heart. Please, please tell me that you fix this in book three. PLEASE FIX THIS IN BOOK THREE.This book opens the night of Gemma Jones’s walkout. It’s intense. It’s horrific. I don’t think the Crits are the true monsters; it’s Mr. Jones. He’s a monster. A total, unfeeling bastard of a monster. Reliving Gemma’s death with MORE information (I thought she was lying to her dad to try and garner sympathy but she wasn’t!) was harsh. But even harsher was moving to the Institute and the pain Liberty is going through emotionally, mentally, and physically at the hands of these bastards was just horrifying. Reliving Cassius’ torture at the hands of the Queens. The extreme guilt that Liberty is living with for handing over the boy she has fallen in love with. The claustrophobia torture Carl Evans puts her through. It is just horrifying.The gory attacks of the Crits and Lurkers and Hunters and Queens do not compare to what these human beings are doing to other human beings. It’s disgusting, it’s heart-wrenching, it’s utterly f**ked up. We are along for the ride as Liberty worries over Cassius’s well-being while being interrogated daily, forced to see her ex-boyfriend be all smoochy-face with someone else even though she’s in love with Cassius, it’s still gross and uncomfortable. OKAY! I won’t tell you anymore as you have to read it yourself; I do not want to kill the suspense.4.75 stars, rounding up to 5. If this book kept me up all night reading and I’m telling the author that she broke my heart, then why is it NOT a five star read fully? Really, dudes, just take it as a 5 star. But fine! If you want me to get all critical: My review copy had some grammatical errors here and there that threw me out of reader zone for a brief moment. Hopefully those will get fixed. Yes, I’m one of THOSE readers. And then…the real reason…look. Liberty Connor is a bad-ass heroine, right? For all intents and purposes, she’s a normal, 17 year old girl living in a tiny isolated town that just happens to have a monster problem. This girl decides to DO something about what is going on in her town. She picks up an ax, arms herself with a few friends who end up dying, GIVES THE LOVE OF HER LIFE OVER TO THE DAMN QUEENS, makes it to “the outside” and then is tortured and yet STILL fights again, right? So then…if she’s just learned she can’t trust her family, that Blackbrooke is seriously messed up, if she’s recognizing that she’s being interrogated by a good cop/bad cop routine, why the HELL is she so trusting of Dr Frank and Jeremiah? Why the HELL does she so easily believe that the Quadrangle is not bugged? DAMMIT LIBERTY. USE YOUR BRAIN. I KNOW YOU HAVE ONE…IT IS ONE OF YOUR GOOD QUALITIES. It annoyed me so much that I took a quarter star off. I hate having my heroine be stupid. I don't care if she IS just 17, well 18 years old now. As for breaking my heart, NOOOOOOOO. WHAT THE HELL? NOOOOOOOOOO. (edited a lot out here with specifics re relationships and conversations because you’ll hate me if I leave it in there.)Alright. I need book 3 now. My heart aches. I’m not a writer; there just can’t be a good outcome for this. Can there? PLEASE?I'm thankful that this is only going to be a trilogy. I don't know if my heart can take more.