atiffyfit

A_TiffyFit's Booklikes

Winter Sparrow

Winter Sparrow - Estevan Vega Review to come as part of the upcoming blog tour!This is not your typical Fantasy/Romance. This isn't boy meets girl, girl falls in love with boy, boy falls in love with girl, and they lived happily ever after. This is about life and love. It isn't always pretty, it doesn't always make sense, but oh how we all long for it. This book is poetic and beautiful and haunting. Read this line!"He was the sunrise she missed so strongly, perhaps, and she was the cloud that, in time, might eclipse him."Or just previous to that when the author describes the scene for you with: "BY THE END OF SEPTEMBER, dawn resembled dark poetry. A spellbound earth sat behind the hills and clouds and dim but rising light. It was made new by irregular colors. The trees on the south end of the mansion flexed rebelliously out of the black dirt womb and created skinny branches. The shades of leaves faded."Can you not see every shadow lit gently by the light? Does it not evoke a bit of creepy stillness that comes with early morning fall? I could practically smell this morning at their house in the country. Mary and Joshua are about to begin their lives together. From completely different upbringings, one being taught that we are "made to love" and the other to doubt self-worth in every aspect, you would imagine that these two overcame hurdles to fall in love. While I was reading, one of my notes said that I pitied Josh. Mary refers to herself as neurotic, but that is such a gentle word for what he is dealing with. As their lives begin, so does their downward spiral. The imagery and ethereal beauty of Estevan Vega's writing stuck with me. It is visceral and yet soft; strong and clear and yet confusing. The entire book was much like a dream itself, with bits and pieces coming together to evoke a response but without having total clarity of the events that got us there. You have these references to Mary's past experiences, to her father's words, but nothing is concrete. And that is why this novel works so well. If it were concrete, you wouldn't have to fill in the blanks with your own emotions and past. You wouldn't be able to step into Mary's shoes or Joshua's. This was the first book I have read by this author and I will definitely be picking up his others.