atiffyfit

A_TiffyFit's Booklikes

Beyond Black

Beyond Black - Hilary Mantel I really struggled reading this book. Just because I didn't like it, doesn't mean it's a bad read, it just wasn't for me. I found the meandering flashes of Alison's past both horrifying for what she endured and annoying for not having enough information. I thought Colette was a selfish, stone cold bitch and wish only the worst things for her. I pitied Alison and could somewhat understand her keeping around Colette for human company, but Colette lacks so much sympathy that she is indecent. She is a miserable, miserable person who creates misery for herself and others. The storyline of "actual psychic" would have been very interesting, but I felt that the book just dragged on and on and on without any direction. Everyone has been talking about Ms. Mantel's "Wolf Hall" and I understand it is written differently than this one, but I don't think I'll be reading it. Not for a long while anyway.