atiffyfit

A_TiffyFit's Booklikes

Immortal Eclipse

Immortal Eclipse - Sherry Soule First, I should mention that I was gifted an electronic copy by the author in exchange for my honest review. From the cover and title, I thought that this was going to be another vampire romance: immortal, eclipse (thought of a solar one at first). Then I thought, well maybe it's a werewolf story (immortal, eclipse this time lunar). But NO TO BOTH. This is a haunted mansion story with ghosts and mystery and romance and violent deaths galore! Skylar is a feisty, fashion-obsessed NYC high-fashion photographer. Her uncle, her last living blood relative, has died and left her a few hundred thousand dollars and a mansion in Carmel, CA. After being fired from her job and realizing she really has nothing in NYC to hold her down, she decides settling her uncle's estate is exactly the change she needs. She packs up her suitcases, gets ready to sublet her apartment, and hops on a plane west. Upon arriving, she crashes her deceased uncle's BMW but escapes with minor injuries. Making her way the last mile to the mansion, she's greeted by hostile staff and a hunky caretaker, Delorian Delacroix, whose family used to own Summerwind, the estate she just inherited.Creeptacular ghosties and hauntings, cryptic comments, and flashbacks to the past all frustrate Skylar as she lives at Summerwind, deterimined to discover why her uncle died. She knows it sure as hell was not a suicide as Detective Chen believes, especially not as the body count starts to pile up upon her arrival.Plagued by these memory-like dreams, Skylar starts to doubt her skepticism about the paranormal and the occult and becomes even more determined to solve the mystery of these deaths and get closer to the caretaker, Delorian, all while looking uber-cute in her high fashion clothes. I liked Skylar from the beginning. She is snarky and just the right level of sarcastic. She's giddy about her namebrand clothing and super cute heels. She's just the right mix of everything: cheery, ditzy at times, fashion-obsessed, determined, loyal, and sweet. I liked the thorough descriptions of her outfits and the joy she has dressing. I suppose some would see her as shallow because of this, but my grandmother and mother always stressed that "clothes are your wings." Come on, ladies, tell the truth: you feel sexy in your "period" underwear or your kickass lingerie? Exactly. And that self-empowerment travels outwards. She isn't wearing anything outlandish or dumb (okay, maybe traversing the woods in heels IS dumb, but they looked cute with those jeans!), she wears practical, comfy, yet stylish clothes. They help her face the day and I loved that about Skylar. Sounds like she's gonna need that inheritance check ASAP to help with her credit card bills now that she's unemployed! There are some really great moments of creepiness - the description of how the being moves, the moths that haunt Skylar, the things that go bump in the night. This was such an enjoyable, read-it-all-at-once read. Once I started, I didn't put it down and didn't want to put it down. I wanted to be left alone to find out the secret, find out the mystery, and exclaim to myself phrases like: "Oh, I knew it!" "Ugh, creepy s.o.b." "JUST KISS HER ALREADY, DAMMIT"