atiffyfit

A_TiffyFit's Booklikes

The River of No Return

The River of No Return - Bee Ridgway The time jump sounded fantastic and it's something that I'd like to experience until -- always, there's that inevitable "until", isn't there? I wanted to jump in thinking this was fluff and fun until he started to come to the crosshairs, the problems, the implications, the "gotcha!"s.The story immediately grasped my attention as the reader - as all good books ought to in my opinion -- and that involvement didn't halt throughout. I was definitely on the side of the protagonist, Nick, and felt as if I were a part of his experiences along with him. And there are many experiences! "The River of No Return" deals with the metaphysical nature of time and space and how we think of it. It takes how you think of it and just...throws it off vortically, tossing you completely off balance with this yarn that is fantastically unbelievable and magical and leaves you wishing it were possible. Bee Ridgway did a remarkable job of weaving this well-imagined story. My copy was an advanced reader's edition and comes with the disclaimer that it's not in its finished state. It is hard to believe that there will be any editing other than minor spell corrections and typos; this book felt wholly finished and was really really enjoyable. This is a book that I will be re-reading time and time again, I am sure, especially when I want to escape reality and delve into the realm of possibilities.What would we do if the end of time caught up to us? Or if time were turned around and was barrelling towards the present? Nick, the baronet from 19th century England, is faced with this dilemma. What would any of us do if we knew? Would we try stopping it from coming towards us? And if we cannot stop it, what would we do? How would the world react?Within the fictional context of this time-warping and time-traveling, the tale aims to discuss social and religious issues. Basically, it stirs all aspects of life's issues and emotions. Love, hatred, human interactions, jealousy, selfishness, death, religion (heaven & hell), and whether or not it exists and if so how it affects human creatures. It even deals with social conscience - environmental issues, wealth distribution concerns, male/female equality, socio-economic class differences/warfare and politics. Ridgway mentions about the 1971 abolishment of the Gold Standard and the credit system being established giving the general populace credit cards and how this gives perceived wealth lending towards perceived feelings. As we know, money drives EVERYTHING - past, present and future. This novel covers it all without exception and without tedium. I did not feel like I was being lectured or prodded to think, but think I did. Within the "fluffy" realm lies deeper more meaningful issues that matter, allowing the reader to get involved and to question and think about all of the above things.I want to read it again! Highly recommended!