atiffyfit

A_TiffyFit's Booklikes

The Paris Wife: A Novel

The Paris Wife - Paula McLain This is a fictional novel based on the facts of Ernest Hemingway and his first wife, "The Paris Wife", Hadley Richardson. It was a good read. I didn't know the biography of Ernest Hemingway and his wives, so coming to this book as a "fresh" reader helped I think. I don't know if I would want to have read it after knowing the history. (I looked up the biography after I was finished reading it). You want to shake some sense into Hadley at the end of the book when Pauline is moving in, and you really want to smack Pauline for chasing after a married man. When you later find out that Ernest later leaves Pauline for another woman, and then leaves THAT woman for another woman, you kinda find yourself nodding and thinking about how karma is a bitch. I don't know if I found this melancholy to read because of the subject matter or because of events in my own life coloring everything right now. It was well written and the words flowed easily. I kept flashing back to my early 20th c American Literature courses and thinking about Gertrude Stein's "Lost" Generation and how apt this author has captured it.